Jan 17, 2007

Well, it actually happened: Houston Froze - Literally


Light rains overnight and continuing through the morning aided in the icing of Houston and a large chuck of Texas. It dropped below 32 degrees for the second night in a row and lets just say that the water is not the only thing that froze. I completely understand the need to close the schools. The roads ARE bad, and the drivers out there are even worse. There were multiple car pile ups and major highways and ramps were all shut down. I'm quite confused, on Monday the local station reported that TX Dot was prepared and one would have expected them to be out last night before the freeze started... but it doesn't appear that way. Now honestly I could be mistaken - I'm beginning to think that there was no deicer agent used, but all I keep hearing about is some salt and sand. Another thought that floated my way was the possibility that Houston only had a few trucks out fit for salting and sanding... there is a lot of road to cover here.

What gets me though, is that someone got it right. Both airports were completely prepared and had minimal delays and cancellations. So the panic continues... straight through the morning news. Yes, stay home until the ice goes away, awe in wonder to icicles hanging from palm trees, and treat yourself to some hot cocoa. HOWEVER, do not subject your public to the same radar and accident reports for over two hours! UGH!!! Not only was it incredibly painful as I was thinking it would end sometime soon, I actually did the big morning 'no-no.'

I had already worked out for an hour, I was awake and hungry. As I gather my morning meal material and settle in for my morning news show, Good Morning America, I discover that there is extended coverage of the "ARCTIC BLAST" aka "look Mom! I never knew I could do the moonwalk!" Regardless I figure, um, it's still early - schools are closing this can't last that long. I couldn't have been more wrong. The cereal bowl is empty, the electric kettle is turned on for coffee and I settle down to wait and hope that they would return to the regularly scheduled programing. After a bit, I figure, um maybe I should be a traitor and watch the Today show instead. Great! At least I can see what happened outside of Texas! I should have known - they too were frozen in the "Arctic blast." So, water's almost ready, I turn it back to what should be Good Morning America - and THIS is when it happened! The big morning 'no-no,'

I feel back asleep, right there on the sofa. Not being a real great 'morning person' this was not a stellar move. I woke up to the theme song of "The View" and quite upset at myself. I sit here now drinking quite a bit of coffee as I try to wake myself back up, again. I'm sorry, but waking up twice in one morning is simply too painful (at least for someone who already has issues waking up). Hats off to all of you wonderful morning people, I admire your ability to get up and stay up, as a night owl who's married to a morning riser, I really am trying to get going in the morning... whether you think so or not.

2 comments:

mel said...

ooh! Your trucks had salt? Killeen trucks only ever had sand or sawdust, which, imho, is worse than the ice. Even after the ice melted, the sand was slippery. Texans don't know what to do with ice. We northerners are smarter...if the roads are well salted and cindered, we don't go anywhere...hence the long lines for bread and milk the night before. LOL. Btw, I'm a morning person married to a night owl. I feel your pain, in the opposite direction. I've learned to stay awake at night so I can have his aura (haha), but don't ask me to be mentally functional.

mel said...

I meant to say, if the roads arent salted and cindered. (not are) duh.