We're 'planted' in Houston. It's currently chilly and rainy. Up back home it's snowy and cold. After watching some news on the "February Fury" it saddened me to look outside and not see any snow. Commenting to a friend about missing snow days, she suggested that we have one anyway, and so I tried.
Penny and I had been invited out to a playgroup, but JD needed the car - so perfect snow day excuses. I did have to make one quick trip to the grocery store as we were planning on making a meal for a fellow church member on long term bed rest. We would walk I had decided Wednesday evening.
It started raining Thursday morning, and didn't stop until late late last night. JD didn't need the car until close to lunch time and missed the rain on his walk to work by minutes. It appeared as though it would rain all day - which it did - so after breakfast, we suited up to get the few groceries we needed. At this point I should add, living downtown has advantages, we can walk through the apartment buildings to the parking garages and stay dry, AND we can park in the garage under the grocery store and take an elevator and stay dry!
We managed TWO more trips out! So much for a complete 'snow day.' I didn't mind the trips, they were both to get JD back to work dry after using the car, and to pick him up. But it just mentally was exhausting and I was bummed not to spend the day indoors and not cramped for time. I had yet to make our dinner, start prepping the meal for tomorrow, and Penny was having a hard time going down for her nap. A bit discouraged was I.
But things improve. God is good and works in many ways.
- Even though we trekked out in the rain a bunch, it was nice to see JD for those little bits
- the lady on bed rest, whom I was to take a meal to - went into labor yesterday afternoon, so I no longer had to stress about getting it finished for today
- JD was able to easily request new insurance cards after Penny pulled them from my wallet and I hid them and now can't find them ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! (of course, they'll show up after we get the new ones)
- my dear friend that suggested the snow day had a true snow day and didn't leave the house - this encouraged me greatly
- we are almost completely over colds!!!!!!
- In the laundry room, I dropped the gallon on distilled water for my iron. It landed in the washer (the lid was open?!) and emptied it's self there where i had no worries over cleaning it up!
- I still made something chocolately (the lady one bed rest listed her favorite food on the 'details' page of the calender, I've never seen anyone list a favorite before - it was chocolate cake, so I had things ready to make her - I made them anyway!)
- Penny was up early from nap and I was in the middle of prepping dinner. I stressed over getting it done!!! To my amazement, she played with Popsicle molds and nibbled on some cheese crackers for the whole half hour under my feet - I was in shock! We put dinner in the oven, picked up JD and had a nice hot favorite childhood dinner of mine when we returned! :)
3 comments:
I love the Grannyism!
A friend of mine used to say that while I was in college, but I'll admit, it took me years to really grab onto it.
I like the idea of having a snow day, anyway. I hope you get to have a full day at home soon!
Love you, Friend.
Thank you for sharing a little bit of your life with us through your blog:).
thanks Sarah! We had a lovely day in - a true snow day, without the snow... hope you're well! :)
Hi, Sarah:).
In answer to your question about what I served for brunch, here is the list of foods I put out:
-Juice
-Coffee
-Make-your-own-yogurt-parfait bar
-Vegan Baked Oatmeal
-Broccoli and Cheese Crustless Quiche
-Bagels and Cream Cheese
-Chocolate Fondue
It was a lot of fun, but I made way too much food!
Post a Comment